Positioned at the junction of Foster Lane and Gresham Street, north east of St. Paul's Cathedral, the magnificent Hall, opened in 1835, is one of London's hidden treasures. Goldsmiths Hall is the third on this site, the Goldsmiths' Company being located here since 1339. Little is known of the first Hall but the second was erected in 1634-6 and restored after the Great Fire of 1666. It lasted for almost two centuries, but was eventually demolished in the late 1820s. The present Hall, by Philip Hardwick, remains much as he designed it, although there have been changes to the decorative schemes and the use of rooms.
The Hall narrowly escaped complete destruction when in 1941 a bomb exploded inside the south-west corner. Faithfully restored on the exterior after the War and internally modified, it retains much of the charm of an urban palazzo. A major refurbishment which was completed in 1990 has further adapted this great building for the 21st century.
Goldsmiths' Hall comprises of several beautiful spaces that can be used for events. The Livery Hall is a magnificently proportioned room with Corinthian columns of scagliola has a richly decorated moulded ceiling in gold leaf. The Drawing Room, redesigned in 1950, following war damage, this elegant room is one of the two key reception rooms within the Hall. The Exhibition Room is a handsome room, panelled in English walnut, with large double doors containing panels of Australian walnut. The Court Luncheon Room features elegant plain oak-panelled room adjoining the Exhibition Room, for small luncheons or dinners. The Court Room is a distinguished room containing eighteenth-century features transposed from the previous hall.
Foster Lane, London, EC2V 6BN
Just fill in the enquiry form to contact the venue directly! Adding as much information as possible will save you time in the long run.